Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Test? Already?

We rejoin our intrepid hero (that's me!) as he..err...I have completed all the requirements necessary to enter the corridors of higher learning. Let's run down the checklist:
Registered...check!
Accepted...check!
OSAP...check!
Tuition Paid...check!
Student Card...check!
Test...che - wait. What?!?!

A test. Before I've even started classes. WTF? All students enrolling in my program (as well as a host of others, possibly all programs. Not really sure.) have to take this WRIT test. It's ostensibly a test to determine whether I need to take a basic English class or an advanced English class. Yippee.

So this past Saturday I haul my ass to the college to take this test. We're given 50 minutes to write an essay responding to a paper that we're given. The topic of this paper is a proposal that all first year students take a mandatory alcohol awareness course. This course would need to be completed successfully before the student would be able to begin classes. Our task as testees (heh) was to respond to this assertion by taking a position and backing it up in proper essay form. Needless to say, my argument was against this proposal.

I'm not even sure they really care about my response. I think they're only using it to look for proper essay structure, coherent writing, etc. Either that, or this test is a subversive way of administering a mandatory alcohol awareness program.

So the test is written and NOW I kick back until my orientation the first week of January.

Oh yeah, I just found out that the college instructors may vote to go on strike the 3rd week of January. FML.

Stay tuned - this is bound to get interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment